Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Pride and Prejudice

I finished Perks of Being a Wallflower which was a fun read, but now I'm trying to focus on a solid book that I might be able to use for future essay prompts or for college. My aunt recommended this book to me, and I've tried to read it a few years back so now I'm finally getting to it.

I'm only on Chapter IV, but I've noticed a lot of similarities between this novel and Age of Innocence. It's the classic story where the family is trying to find a suitor for the son/daughter. Even though the two take place in different eras, they have the same feel for the traditional romance.

I love reading different genres of novels, and this book is completely different than Perks of Being a Wallflower. It's older and more proper in language, tone, and every day customs/life. For instance, Pride and Prejudice is written by an English writer who portrays a kind of ignominy trapped inside her through the character Elizabeth Bennet, the heroine. I only know this so far because I read a bit of the introduction.

The language contributes to the feel of the novel because it is written in old English. I've noticed some words that are spelled differently such a "choose" and "chuse." Austen also omits the period after "Mr." or "Mrs." Just these subtle differences help contribute to the time frame and the tone of the novel. In addition, the characters may have problems with friends or anything, but they do not show it. Thoughts are kept to oneself because it may be inappropriate to say such things. The way of life is different than Perks because people at this time ride around in horse and buggy and take a horse to go into town. Also, if someone wants to find a husband or wife, they hold a ball and invite all the eligible ladies/men to attend. So traditional. Nowadays that would be silly. Nobody does that anymore. We just hang out and text each other. There is no need to hold anything grand or flagrant to find someone. In Perks, however, it is written by a freshmen boy who has a tough life with abusive relationships. He writes to share his thoughts and pain in a passive way because he is not a talker. He is not afraid to write about and relate all of his feelings to a stranger. The genres are COMPLETELY different.

Now, I'm reading about Jane and Elizabeth discussing a possible suitor for Jane and how Jane is "a great deal too apt, you know, to like people in general" (Austen 12). This statement means that Jane likes almost everyone because she sees the best in everyone. This characteristic reminds me of people whom I know. It is a great quality to have. I shall continue reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment