Thursday, January 7, 2016

Four-ging his toughness

I've been commenting on my previous comments before about the new sections I've been reading. But I guess I can't put links on comments so...new post.
Throughout the majority of the Divergent series, I always assumed Four to be a tough, almost unbreakable human. At times, we see when he is weak, however, even when he is weak, he's still above average. In Divergent, the only true time Four was weak was when he was in his fear simulation:
After reading the book Four, I truly enjoyed learning Tobias's history before Tris came and his perspective on certain events. In Divergent, some things were briefly mentioned in the book. Many of these things, however, were explained in more details and had an explanation for in Four. For example, in Divergent, Tobias briefly tells Tris that there were a few changes made to the Dauntless initiation test the year she came. I did not think too much about it while reading Divergent. In Four though, Roth writes the reason behind why the initiation process was altered: Eric suggested the competition aspect of initiation to Mark in his leadership training session. Although I may have simply looked over it while reading Divergent, it was comforting/interesting to discover the reason behind events in Divergent.

The book exceeded my expectations because of these reasons. I originally assumed that Four would be about mainly the events which took place when Tris arrived, however in Four's point of view. I 'twas quite happy that Roth proved me wrong. The book is still written nicely with amazing reading font and book cover (Don't lie to yourself. We all judge books by their cover). Of course it wasn't as good as Divergent mainly because there are major time jumps at times like the huge 2yr jump from the time Tobias declined the leadership job and when Tris became an initiate but...it is a "spin-off" book of Divergent so...Four served its purpose. It did indeed serve its purpose well.

I will Four-give Veronica Roth for the faults in the book. I can't hold this grudge Four-ever...please Four-get that I ever made these puns :)

No comments:

Post a Comment