Saturday, January 4, 2014

I am Malala


Like Jenny, I began reading I am Malala, an autobiography by Malala Yousafzai.  She lived in the Swat District of Pakistan, and is an activist for girl's education.  Malala was shot on her bus ride to school at just 15 years old by the Taliban.  She had gained attention for spreading ideas of peace and education for girls, which the Taliban is against.  The book is very inspring.  It makes me incredibly grateful that I live in a country that gives equal education opportunities to girls.  We complain about having to go to school, but we don't realize how lucky we are to have the ability to receive an education.  I'm not saying that school doesn't sometimes bore me and make me stressed out, but I understand that receiving public education is a gift. Malala almost died from being shot in the face just for wanting to learn.  It's horrifying that something like this would happen at this point in time.  Over the years, women have made incredible strides to gain equality, but we clearly still have a lot of work to do.  Malala is 16 years old now, and living in Birmingham, England.  She is truly a symbol of inspiration and bravery.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so pumped you're reading this too! I adore this book!

    ReplyDelete