Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Malala's family


In my last few blogs I have been raving about how extraordinary Malala is, although this is true, as I read further in the book I realize that her entire family is equally extraordinary. Malala's father founded the Women's School that Malala attended. He believed that all people deserved to be educated. Moreover, Malala explains that in the Pakistanis culture, if you are the first born is a girl, it is a sign of being unlucky. Malala goes on to say that when she was born, her father not only did not believe this, but he encouraged everyone that came to see the baby to put dried fruit and rice in her crib, which is customarily for boys. The rest of Malala's family has moved to England to help her pursue her dream of bettering the world.     

1 comment:

  1. I also found her family amazing. I think a lot of people have a pre-conceived notion that all men in the Middle East are sexist, but this is clearly not the case. I am so proud of Malala's father for raising his daughter to believe that she is equal to men and that she deserves an education.

    ReplyDelete